Brad is a Registered Professional Engineer in the state of Minnesota. Brad’s practice is distinguished by his extensive patent reissue and reexamination experience. He has represented both third-party requestors and patent owners in reexamination proceedings for more than three dozen U.S. patents, including nine inter partes reexaminations. Those proceedings have included diverse technologies, including semiconductor manufacturing products, medical devices, building components, and farm machinery.
Prior to pursuing a legal career, he worked as an engineer and construction industry regulator, developing technical codes and standards related to the design of buildings and building systems at the state and national levels. He also worked as a mechanical systems designer and energy conservation researcher.
- Entegris, Inc. v. NEC Corp. and Sumitomo Corp. Represented third-party requester Entegris in inter partes reexamination of U.S. Patent No. 6,357,595 directed to trays for ball-grid array semiconductor chips. All claims rejected after appeal by patent owner.
- Cardiac Science Inc. v. Defibtech LLC Represented third-party requester Cardiac Science in inter partes reexamination of U.S. Patent No. 6,577,102 directed to a medical device battery system with a secondary power supply. Reexamination certificate issued with all claims of the patent cancelled.
- Rockwood Retaining Walls v. Anchor Wall Systems Represented third-party requester Rockwood in inter partes reexamination of 15 U.S. patents directed to concrete retaining wall blocks. Inter partes reexamination certificates were issued with all claims statutorily disclaimed by the patent owner and one patent with 30 claims cancelled and 20 confirmed as patentable. Ex parte reexamination certificates issued for 10 patents with one patent having all claims statutorily disclaimed, six patents with claims cancelled and/or amended, and four patents with all claims confirmed.
- Benson Medical Instruments v. Diagnostic Group Represented third-party requester Benson Medical in inter partes reexamination of U.S. Patent No. 6,644,120 and ex parte reexamination of related U.S. Patents 5,811,681 and 6,416,482 directed to computer controlled audiometers, all of which were asserted against Benson Medical in co-pending litigation. Reexamination certificates were issued canceling all claims of all three patents.
- Seasonal Specialties v. Fiber Optic Design Represented third-party requester Seasonal Specialties in inter partes reexamination of U.S. Patent No. 6,830,358 directed to LED light strings. Currently on appeal at the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences with all claims standing rejected.
- Battens Plus v. Diversi-Plast Represented patent owner Diversi-Plast in inter partes reexamination of U.S. Patent No. 6,357,193 directed to roof batten systems. Currently pending with 15 claims indicated as allowable under second non-final action.
- Andersen Windows Inc. v. Larson Manufacturing of South Dakota Represented patent owner Larson Manufacturing in inter partes reexamination of U.S. Patent No. 7,007,439 directed to locksets for doors. Reexamination certificate issued with all original claims patentable and with five new claims added.
- H&S Manufacturing, Inc. v. Meyer Manufacturing, Inc. Represented third-party requester H&S Manufacturing in ex parte reexamination of U.S. Patent No. 5,501,404 directed to a manure spreader with vertical expellers. Currently on appeal by patent owner to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit with all claims standing rejected.