Eli is a trial attorney focusing on intellectual property and business litigation. He represents businesses and individuals in patent, trademark, and copyright lawsuits in Wisconsin and throughout the country. He also handles contract and other commercial disputes for clients ranging from local small businesses to Fortune 500 corporations. Eli has practiced exclusively as a litigation and trial attorney throughout his career, and has served as lead counsel in multiple jury trials. As a result, he has the experience and knowledge to effectively resolve even the most contentious disputes.
Wisconsin Roots, National Representation
In addition to his extensive practice in Wisconsin, Eli litigates cases throughout the country, with a particular focus on the West Coast. Eli is one of the few Wisconsin-based intellectual property litigators who is also licensed and practices in California and Oregon.
Because so many intellectual property lawsuits are filed in California and Oregon federal courts, Wisconsin companies and individuals can find themselves litigating disputes there. Eli provides a welcome alternative for Midwestern clients to avoid employing high-priced lead attorneys in Los Angeles, the Bay Area, or Portland for disputes in California and Oregon. As a native Wisconsinite, Eli takes pride in directly representing Midwestern clients in courts on the West Coast, with the same level of service and accessibility he provides for cases at home in Wisconsin.
Eli practiced in Oregon for several years before returning home to Wisconsin, and has extensive experience with the federal and state courts there. In addition to Wisconsin, California and Oregon, Eli has litigated cases in Illinois, Texas, Florida, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.
- Represented Wisconsin-based graphic artist in obtaining a $3.95 million jury verdict in a copyright infringement trial.
- Represented a frozen foods manufacturer and distributor in obtaining a permanent injunction in a trademark infringement case.
- Represented a major trucking company in obtaining dismissal of a well-known patent troll’s lawsuit without any settlement payment.
- Represented a Portland, Oregon-based leather goods manufacturer and retailer in obtaining the dismissal of a well-known patent troll’s lawsuit without any settlement payment.
- Represented a health care provider in defeating a motion for preliminary injunction in a trademark infringement case.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in a contract dispute related to ongoing environmental remediation, and obtained a dismissal of the litigation without any payment to the plaintiff.
Articles & Presentations
- “When Do Lawyer Threats Become Ethical Violations,” Presenter for the DeWitt Annual Ethics Seminar, Fall 2018
- “Bluster, Bluffs and Best Practices: Legal Ethics in Settlement Negotiations,” Presenter for the DeWitt Annual Ethics Seminar, Fall 2016
- “Going Through the Motions: Wisconsin Pretrial Advocacy,” Co-Presenter for the Wisconsin State Bar PINNACLE, January 2015
- “Defining the Injury: Examining the Production of Medical Records in Oregon,” Feature Article, The Verdict, OADC Magazine, Summer 2011