Jim studied at the University of Minnesota for his undergraduate degree and at William Mitchell College of Law for his Juris Doctorate degree. Jim concentrates his practice on intellectual property matters. As such, Jim has substantial experience representing clients in the areas of patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, software protection and licensing. Jim has successfully represented both plaintiffs and defendants in litigating intellectual property claims. Jim is a recognized leader and has been elected four times by the residents of northern Dakota County to its School Board. He served for many years as the School Board Chair. He was appointed by the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota to, and served on, the 2005 Patent Advisory Committee. This committee recommended the local rules the Court now uses in patent litigation.
Articles & Presentations
- “Is the Pendulum Swinging Back?” DeWitt North Star Update, June 2019
- “An Intellectual Property Primer for Medical Providers,” Spring Conference of the Minnesota Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation – Minneapolis, MN, April 25, 2019
- “Courts Make Life More Difficult for Copyright Owners,” DeWitt North Star Update, April 2019
- “First Sale and Fair Use in the Digital Age,” DeWitt North Star Update, February 2019
- “Defending Yourself Against Patent Trolls,” Cloud Communications Alliance Conference – San Diego, CA, October 15, 2013