Mackall, Crounse & Moore, PLC has joined Dewitt Ross & Stevens S.C.

The newly formed DeWitt Mackall Crounse & Moore S.C. will provide clients with enhanced legal services
and efficiencies as well as access to more than 100 attorneys practicing in nearly 30 areas of
law in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Dismiss this message


News & Education

Back to COVID-19 Resource Center

Filter by:

The Rise of Domestic Abuse During COVID-19: What Legal Protections Do You Have?

Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 virus, there has been a dramatic increase in domestic abuse against both adults and children.   Have you or your child been the victim of domestic abuse?  If you have, Minnesota law provides you protections, including an Order for Protection which can result in stiff criminal penalties for violations.   Experienced attorney Kathleen M. Newman of the DeWitt LLP law firm assists victims in getting the best legal protection as swiftly as possible. 

Minnesota law defines Domestic Abuse  as acts between “family or household members” including: (a) physical harm by hitting, kicking, slapping, etc.; (b) causing fear in a family/household member of physical harm, including threats of harm; (c) terroristic threats, such as threats to commit a crime of violence (e.g. exhibiting a firearm to instill fear); (d) criminal sexual conduct (examples - forced intercourse/other sexual contact or intercourse/other sexual contact with a minor);  or (e) interference with an emergency call (grabbing your phone while you are trying to call for help).  Additionally, it is important to note that the legal definition of “family or household members” is broad and is not limited to just blood relatives but also includes “persons involved in a significant romantic or sexual relationship.” 

If the act(s) committed against you or your child meet the definition of “domestic abuse,”  you can ask a judge to issue an Order for Protection against your abuser.  The Order can include a wide range of protections, including:  (a) ordering the abuser not to abuse you or your minor children; (b) ordering the abuser’s removal from your home;  (c)  ordering the abuser to stay away from your place of work; (d) ordering the abuser not to contact you;  (e) giving you temporary custody of your child and/or establishing temporary parenting time; (f) establishing temporary child support and/or spousal support; (g) awarding you temporary use/possession of personal property you shared with the abuser, (h) ordering the abuser to compensate you for your medical bills and/or lost income caused by the abuse; and (i) ordering any other relief that is necessary to protect you and your child, including ordering law enforcement to assist you.

You can obtain information about getting an Order for Protection by contacting court administration in the county where you live.  You can fill out paperwork at the court house and a judge will review it.  After reviewing your paperwork, a judge can give you an Ex parte Order for Protection” which is issued without prior notice to the abuser because there is an “immediate and present danger of domestic abuse”.  The Ex Parte Order is then served on the abuser by law enforcement.  The Ex Parte Order will give you protection until there is a full hearing on your allegations of abuse.  At the hearing you will present evidence of the abuse and the alleged abuser will present a defense.  After hearing all the evidence, the judge can either dismiss the Ex Parte Order, or it the judge finds abuse, she can issue an Order for Protection for up to two years, or longer if appropriate. Lastly, a violation of an Order for Protection can be a criminal offense resulting in imprisonment.

Take-away:   COVID-19 has forced many of us to be in close quarters in our homes for long periods of time.  More than ever, we all need to feel safe and secure.  If you think you are the victim of domestic abuse, please contact Attorney Kathleen M. Newman of the DeWitt LLP law firm.  Ms. Newman and her team will effectively guide you to the legal protections you need.   

Source: Minn. Stat. § 518B.01

About the Author

With extensive experience in all aspects of marital dissolutions, Kathleen M. Newman has handled many complex divorces, including cases with closely held business interests, professional practices and high net worth cases. Her clients appreciate her listening skills and quick assessment of complex issues. She helps her clients organize a strategy to accomplish their goals in resolving the issues in their divorces.

She can be reached by email at or by phone at 612-305-1400.




Our Locations

Greater Milwaukee - Get Directions

Green Bay - Get Directions

Madison - Get Directions

Minneapolis -Get Directions



Get to know us

DeWitt LLP is one of the ten largest law firms based in Wisconsin, with an additional presence in Minnesota. It has more than 120 attorneys practicing in Madison, Metropolitan Milwaukee and Minneapolis in over 30 legal practice areas, and has the experience to service clients of all scopes and sizes.


We are an active and proud member of Lexwork International, an association of mid-sized independent law firms in major cities located throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia and an active member of SCG Legal, an association of more than 140 independent law firms serving businesses in all 50 state capitals and major commercial centers around the world.


Super Lawyers 2020
Best Lawyers 2013 – 2020
Compass Award 2012
Top 100 Lawyers: National Trial Lawyers Association Best in 2020


While we would like to hear from you, we cannot represent you until we know that doing so will not create a conflict of interest. Accordingly, please do not send us any information about any matter that may involve you until you receive a written statement from us that we represent you (an “engagement letter”). You will not be a client of the firm until you receive such an engagement letter.

The best way for you to initiate a possible representation is to call DeWitt LLP at 608-255-8891. We will make every effort to put you in touch with a lawyer suited to handle your matter. When you receive an engagement letter from one of our lawyers, you will be our client and we may exchange information freely.

Please click the “OK” button if you understand and accept the foregoing statement and wish to proceed.