Mike works in the litigation practice group of DeWitt and has extensive experience with litigation matters, case analysis, strategic planning, and negotiations. He is a logical and resourceful, team-oriented attorney who effectively anticipates and evaluates legal issues to protect clients and resolve cases. His experience includes matters related to business, product liability, commercial law, litigation, contract law and construction law.
He is a veteran of the United States Army, where he served on active duty while specializing in Satellite Communications. Mike is also a former member of the North Carolina Army National Guard.
- Lead counsel defending traumatic brain injury case with compensatory and punitive damage exposure in excess of $20 million; drove investigation and discovery, limited exposure, and developed contribution claim against third party defendant; successfully mediated settlement within insurance policy limits, eliminated punitive damages, and preserved contribution action.
- Successfully defended general contractor in construction defect case where plaintiff alleged $500,000 in structural damage; retained and consulted structural engineer to develop defense and present expert testimony; obtained defense verdict at trial.
- Lead counsel representing general contractor against defective construction claims brought by homeowners' association; retained experts to evaluate claims on over 100 townhomes; asserted claims against sub-contractors; successfully mediated settlement within insurance policy limits.
- Lead counsel defending product liability contribution action; evaluated insurance coverage of business unit during period of exposure to assert cross- and counter-claims; conducted discovery confirming insurance coverage for target business unit; recovered $120,000 at mediation.
- As lead counsel, successfully defended product liability case in federal court; severely burned plaintiff alleged improper testing protocol and failure to warn; employed targeted investigation and discovery focused on governmental regulations, compliance, and testing protocols; secured favorable settlement at pre-trial conference.
- Disasters and the Law, 2019 — Cumberland County Bar Association (CLE)
- Storm Surge: Representing Disaster Survivors before FEMA, 2018 — Legal Aid of North Carolina, Inc. (CLE; panelist)
- Know Your Rights Under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act — multiple presentations 2010-2018