Scott Paler is a partner and attorney at DeWitt LLP. He serves as Chair of the Firm’s Background Screening Practice Group and Past-Chair of the Firm’s Employment Practice Group, and also participates on the Firm’s Executive Committee.
Scott has developed a niche expertise in background screening. During his career, Scott has advised more than 100 background screening companies on compliance and business issues. He has also defended multiple background screening companies in litigation. Scott previously served as Co-Chair of the Litigation Avoidance Committee for the Professional Background Screening Association (PBSA), led PBSA's Insurance Task Force, and participated in PBSA’s Best Practice Steering Committee. He is currently a member of PBSA’s Ethics Committee and regularly presents on industry trends and best practices at national background screening conferences.
In addition to working with background screening companies, Scott has assisted employers nationwide, ranging in size from Fortune 50 companies to small businesses, to create and administer sound, legally compliant background screening programs.
Apart from background screening, Scott has advised employers on a wide range of traditional employment issue such as employment applications, employee handbooks, wage practices, non-compete agreements, disciplinary investigations, and terminations. He has also represented numerous organizations—from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies—in federal court, state court, and administrative forums. Such disputes have included: discrimination, harassment, non-compete, background screening, wage, breach-of-contract, employee theft, and shareholder/partner matters.
Wisconsin Super Lawyers has repeatedly recognized Scott as a “Rising Star.” In addition, in 2016, Scott was named the exclusive winner of the Client Choice award in the area of Employment and Benefits in the State of Wisconsin.
Scott has worked with organizations in a variety of industries, including: healthcare, retail, information technology, staffing, manufacturing, accounting, agriculture, background screening, transportation, insurance, construction, non-profit, and a variety of others.
- Scott is “among the most qualified in his field.” – Client
- “What distinguishes Scott from other lawyers is his ability to collaborate and creatively problem solve for clients.” – Client
- Scott’s “attention to detail and willingness to go above and beyond for clients is always the same, regardless of the case.” – Client
- “Scott is more than a competent lawyer - he is also a trusted adviser.” – Client
- “I have known and worked with Scott Paler for a couple of years and have nothing but good things to say. Scott has the ability to see all sides of a situation while incorporating our business position. This approach results in him providing comprehensive advice to ensure our company is not legally compromised.” – Client