- J.D., University of Iowa (Editor in Chief of the Iowa Law Review)
- B.A., Northwestern University
John worked with hundreds of clients throughout the state counseling them on qualified and non-qualified retirement plans, cafeteria and fringe benefit plans, and other forms of compensation planning. His extensive work in the area of executive compensation earned him an excellent reputation in the field of employee benefits law.
For more than 30 years he focused on business law – and in particular employee benefits. Once the founder and president of the Madison Pension Council, John’s legal and business acumen was evident when he assisted numerous clients with forming business entities, assisting in mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations locally and nationally.
In addition to his professional dedication, John is also a community volunteer with the Wisconsin’s Ice Age Trail where he performs maintenance, builds benches and raises funds to preserve the natural treasure of the trail.
John worked mostly with small and medium size business entities. He was one of the leaders in Wisconsin in incorporating professionals such as physicians, dentists and accountants so they could obtain the benefits of profit and pension plans as well as pre-tax health and disability benefits. He was also utilizing the principles of 401(k) plans before Congress even adopted that section of the Internal Revenue Code.
- American Bar Association
- Dane County Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Volunteer Wisconsin Ice Age Trail
Articles & Presentations
- Contributor to DeWitt HR Advantage Newsletter
- Speaker at several continuing legal education seminars sponsored by the State Bar of Wisconsin
Awards & Recognitions
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers® (Employee Benefits) 2005
- Best Lawyers® – Best Lawyers in America – Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law (Since 1987)
- Best Lawyers – Madison Lawyer of the Year 2012 &ndash: Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law
- “Top Lawyer” – Madison Magazine
- He represented a large multi-specialty clinic in its merger into an even larger organization, which included protecting the retirement plans of the acquired organization
- John has assisted countless large manufacturers in the design, implementation and administration of their qualified retirement plans
- John continues to offer qualified retirement plan representation to an 850 physician faculty practice plan and also assisted with its reorganization and an acquisition of another large health service provider
- He recently worked with a mutual fund family and assisted it with an acquisition of another fund family and the accompanying reorganization of those entities