Clients around the world turn to Joe to secure and enforce their intellectual property rights. This includes securing patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets, as well as asserting and defending these rights in the state and federal courts. Joe is frequently engaged in opinion work, drafting freedom to operate opinions for U.S. manufacturers and foreign companies importing goods into the U.S. He serves as an expert witness in state and federal actions regarding Patent & Trademark Office practices and procedures. Additionally, he regularly represents both applicants and opposers in actions before the Trademark Trial & Appeal Board.
Joe’s clients run the gamut from multinational corporations and large research universities to startups and individual inventors. Recent clients for whom Joe has drafted patent applications include Marquette University, King’s College London, The University of Chicago, University of Saint Thomas, Bayer MaterialScience, Bharat Biotech International, Breakthrough Futures, Crown Operations International, Edgenet, Evets Corporation (maker of Danelectro®-brand guitars), Genome Technologies, and nPoint. Joe’s trademark clients include Country Kitchen Restaurants, Evets Corporation, Diesel Injection Service, Patriot Outfitters, and many others.
Defending Proclip USA and Brodit AB in National Products, Inc.. v. Proclip USA, Inc. and Brodit AB (Western District, WI, Case No: 20-CV-439) in a patent infringement lawsuit involving three patents. (Brodit is located in Sweden; Proclip is in the US.)
Defending Sonic Foundry in Trademark Opposition: RLP Ventures, LLC v. Sonic Foundry, Inc. TTAB case no. 90/064,439 (Trademark Trial & Appeal Board)
- In patent and trademark litigation, Joe represented the defendant and counter-claim plaintiff Fujian Quan Yu (a Chinese stair parts manufacturer) in a false patent marking and breach of settlement action in the Middle District of North Carolina. SV International Inc. and ECMD, Inc. v. Fujian Quan Yu Industry Co., Ltd., 1:09-CV-00862-WO-WWD
- In complex federal litigation involving allegations of trademark infringement, unfair competition, minority shareholder oppression, trade secret misappropriation, and other business-related issues, Joe is representing the defendant and counter-claim plaintiff, Novomedicus, in the Eastern District of Wisconsin. Starsurgical, Inc. v. Novomedicus et al. 10-CV-1156-LA
- Joe represented Crown Operations International in a successful appeal to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit that resulted in a precedential opinion: Crown Operations International Ltd. v. Solutia Inc., 289 F.3d 1367, 62 USPQ2d 1917 (Fed. Cir. 2002)
- SV Int'l, Inc. v. Fu Jian Quanyu Indus. Co., 820 F. Supp. 2d 677 (M.D.NC 2011) (“SV II”): In a second round of litigation between these two parties, the court held that the settlement agreement in the first case (“SV I”) did not bar Fu Jian’s counter-claims in the second case.
- Starsurgical, Inc. c. Aperta, LLC, 832 F. Supp. 2d 1000 (E.D. WI 2011): Decision on an injunction motion regarding use a trademark comprising a living person’s last name.