- J.D., University of Wisconsin
- B.A., Lawrence University
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Tax Court
Paul is an attorney, with Emeritus status, at Dewitt LLP where he brought more than 50 years of experience representing banks, insurance companies and other capital providers nationwide in real estate finance and commercial transactions, including permanent and construction lending, acquisitions, sales and leasing, and insurance regulatory issues. Paul also has assisted high net worth individuals in matters relating to tax, estate planning, business succession and trust creation.
Paul is listed in Best Lawyers in America since 2006 for his corporate law work.
Paul has served as Managing Partner, Executive Committee member, and chairman of the firm’s Business, Real Estate and Estate Planning Groups while practicing law at the firm for his entire career.
Paul has also been a member of the Board of Directors of several non profit organizations in Wisconsin and has lectured at continuing legal education programs sponsored by the Wisconsin State Bar.
- American Bar Association
- Dane County Bar Association
- United States Army Reserve Veteran – Commander Engineering Unit
Awards & Recognitions
- Editor, Wisconsin Law Review
- Who’s Who in American Law
- Best Lawyers® – Best Lawyers in America (Corporate Law) – Since 2006
- Worked extensively with life insurance companies in documenting, closing and enforcing commercial real estate loans in 42 states and the District of Columbia
- Extensive experience in representation of insurance industry entities in regulatory and corporate transactional areas
- Worked with the project manager and handled the legal aspects of development, project management, and construction of the University of Wisconsin’s basketball and hockey arena, the Kohl Center
- Successfully assisted the owner in acquiring, out of bankruptcy and financing through a hedge fund and State of Wisconsin grants/loans, a paper company in Wisconsin
- Successfully represented a lender in the sale of a $20 million commercial office building loan owned by TIC Investors to a REIT
- Represented a life insurance company in connection with the $35 million financing of a portfolio of 16 retail facilities in six states
- Represented a life insurance company in connection with the $45 million financing of a portfolio of retail facilities in seven states
- Represented the secured lender in the successful sale of a distressed ethanol plant in a Wisconsin Chapter 128 receivership proceeding
Service Areas Subspecialties
- Financial Institutions
- Insurance Regulation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Trusts & Estates
- Estate Planning
- Trust Administration