Mackall, Crounse & Moore, PLC has joined Dewitt Ross & Stevens S.C.

The newly formed DeWitt Mackall Crounse & Moore S.C. will provide clients with enhanced legal services
and efficiencies as well as access to more than 100 attorneys practicing in nearly 30 areas of
law in Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Dismiss this message


News & Education

Back to Immigration Articles

Filter by:

Final Rule Extending Employment Authorization to Certain H-4 Dependent Spouses

On February 25, 2015, the final rule related to employment authorization for certain spouses of H-1B specialty workers was published in the Federal Register (80 FR 10283). The rule will become effective on May 26, 2015, the date when USCIS will begin accepting employment authorization applications on behalf of eligible H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B workers.

Individuals holding H-4 dependent status may apply for employment authorization beginning May 26, 2015, if they meet the following eligibility criteria:

  1. The principal H-1B worker has an approved I-140 Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, or

  2. The principal H-1B worker has received an H-1B extension beyond the sixth year, pursuant to the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-First Century Act (AC21), based on an I-140 petition or labor certification (PERM) filed at least 365 days prior to the date when the individual exhausted the six years of H-1B status.

According to the final rule, the employment authorization conferred upon eligible H-4 spouses is not automatic or incident to H-4 status. Instead, eligible individuals must apply for employment authorization with USCIS by filing an I-765 Application for Employment Authorization together with the applicable filing fee and supporting documents establishing their eligibility. If approved, the applicant will be issued an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card valid for the remaining validity period of the underlying H-4 status. The EAD will authorize the H-4 spouse to work for any U.S. employer during its validity period.

To be eligible for EAD under this new rule, applicants will have to show evidence of (a) spousal relationship to the principal H-1B worker; (b) current H-4 status of the dependent spouse; (c) evidence that the principal H-1B worker is the beneficiary of an approved I-140 Petition or has received a one-year H-1B extension beyond the sixth year pursuant to AC21; and (d) evidence that the principal H-1B worker maintains valid H-1B status.

USCIS will accept I-765 Applications for Employment Authorization filed concurrently with I-539 Applications to Change Status to H-4 dependent spouse from eligible individuals holding a different non-immigrant status. USCIS will also accept I-765 Applications for Employment Authorization from eligible H-4 spouses filed concurrently with petitions seeking to extend the principal H-1B worker’s status beyond the sixth year and applications to extend the H-4 spouse’s respective dependent status. However, the H-4 spouse’s EAD application will not be adjudicated until after the extension of status is approved. Premium processing for the H-4 EAD applications will not be available.

This rule does not confer employment authorization to H-4 dependent children. This rule also does not confer employment authorization to H-4 spouses during the principal worker’s initial six years in H-1B status.

For additional information regarding this new regulation, contact Attorney Raluca (Luca) Vais-Ottosen at or at (608) 252-9291.

About the Author

Raluca Vais-Ottosen has assisted numerous clients with Immigration matters ranging from family-based and individual Immigration applications, to employment related visas and I-9 employment eligibility verification issues. In addition to her Immigration practice, she also has an extensive background in Employment Law. She assists companies in a number of areas, including but not limited to claims of workplace discrimination, harassment and retaliation, termination and constructive discharge, workplace investigations by State and Federal agencies, as well as Employment Litigation.

Contact Luca by email or by phone at (608) 252-9291.

Our Locations

Greater Milwaukee - Get Directions

Green Bay - Get Directions

Madison - Get Directions

Minneapolis -Get Directions



Get to know us

DeWitt LLP is one of the ten largest law firms based in Wisconsin, with an additional presence in Minnesota. It has more than 130 attorneys practicing in Madison, Greater Milwaukee, Green Bay and Minneapolis in over 30 legal practice areas, and has the experience to service clients of all scopes and sizes.


We are an active and proud member of Lexwork International, an association of mid-sized independent law firms in major cities located throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia and an active member of SCG Legal, an association of more than 140 independent law firms serving businesses in all 50 state capitals and major commercial centers around the world.


Super Lawyers 2021
Best Lawyers 2013 – 2021
Compass Award 2012
Top 100 Lawyers: National Trial Lawyers Association


While we would like to hear from you, we cannot represent you until we know that doing so will not create a conflict of interest. Accordingly, please do not send us any information about any matter that may involve you until you receive a written statement from us that we represent you (an “engagement letter”). You will not be a client of the firm until you receive such an engagement letter.

The best way for you to initiate a possible representation is to call DeWitt LLP at 608-255-8891. We will make every effort to put you in touch with a lawyer suited to handle your matter. When you receive an engagement letter from one of our lawyers, you will be our client and we may exchange information freely.

Please click the “OK” button if you understand and accept the foregoing statement and wish to proceed.