Mike is a partner in the Minneapolis office of DeWitt practicing in the areas of Transportation & Logistics, Business, Labor & Employment and Litigation.
With considerable experience advising users and providers of transportation services, and interacts with governmental regulators, enforcement officials and other stakeholders including large shippers, insurers, and fulfilment providers. Mike understands the myriad of general and specialized issues, including contracts, freight loss claims, liability insurance, and independent contractors touching on the movement of freight by various modes and strives to provide timely and quality legal advice to his clients.
In addition to his substantial transportation practice, Mike counsels individuals and businesses regarding best employment practice, employment discrimination, and personnel practices audits. He also advises employers on COVID-19 return to work and work from home issues.
Mike also works closely with businesses in asset-based workouts, collection, and general consumer issues. In addition to providing legal services to these industries, Mike counsels small to medium-sized, closely held businesses facing issues of financing; collection; contracts; employee relations; best employment practices; hiring, termination, wage and hour disputes and litigation; labor/equipment regulatory compliance and administrative law.
As well as providing legal advice to his clients, Mike also presents seminars to transportation industry trade groups on regulatory, financial and collection issues. He is rated AV Preeminent® for the highest level of professional excellence by Martindale-Hubbell.
He is a member of the Board of the Minnesota Trucking Association (MTA) and has participated on various task forces and committees for MTA. In 2014 and 2015 he served as a member of the Driver Project Team Committee, a multi-month task force to analyze practical, training, insurance and regulatory options available to increase the supply of commercial motor vehicle drivers in Minnesota. In 2017 and 2018 he served on the Automated Vehicles Task Force Committee, a cross discipline MTA committee exploring the issues facing MTA members, and the trucking industry in general, regarding the various levels of automated vehicles. Mike currently serves on the MTA’s governmental affairs committee discussing trucking industry advocacy before state and national legislatures.
- Supreme Court of the United States, co-counsel, Amicus Curie briefs in on behalf of the Minnesota Trucking Association, Cal Cartage Transportation Express, LLC v. State of California, et al. Case No. 20-1453 and California Trucking Association, Inc. Ravinder Singh, And Thomas Odom v. Robert Bonta, In His Official Capacity As The Attorney General For The State Of California, et al., Case 21-194.
Articles & Presentations
- Minnesota Chamber of Commerce, Presenter, Vaccines in the Workplace, Federal Vaccine Mandates, Webinar, September 2021
- Minnesota Trucking Association, Presenter NextLeader Program 2020 and 2021
- Minnesota Trucking Association, Presenter, MTA COVID-19 MN Fleet Update Webinar, March 2020
- Minnesota Trucking Association, Safety Council, Panel Member, Steps after an Accident Panel Discussion, January 2019
- Minnesota Trucking Association, Trucker Magazine, co-author, Minneapolis Sick and Safe Time Ordinance – Are you an Employer Subject to the City of Minneapolis’ New Ordinance?, Fall 2017