- J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School (Member of the Moot Court Board)
- B.S., Ohio University
Whether you’re looking to purchase a piece of real property and secure financing or your company is merging with another, Brody will use the practical and creative methods that he has gained while helping clients reach their transactional goals in a variety of unique situations. He understands that no transaction is a “one size fits all” transaction and that corporate, real estate, securities and franchise require attention to detail and an attorney willing to go the extra mile fo his clients.
Brody assists a wide array of clients, from individuals to major corporations. His clients have included, but are certainly not limited to, small retail businesses, large commercial real estate developers, major manufacturing companies and tax exempt organizations.
He has helped clients secure and negotiate the terms of conventional financing, both as it relates to business and real estate needs. In addition, he has a good deal of experience assisting companies attempting to raise equity through less conventional means, including private securities offerings.
Brody has extensive experience representing franchises at all stages of the franchise process, from drafting the initial Franchise Disclosure Document and registering the franchise in multiple states to assisting clients with complying with all required disclosures during the sale of franchised locations.
- Board Member – Community Around the Children’s Hospital
- Board Member – Tri4Schools Inc.
- Executive Committee Member - DeWitt LLP
- Fellow – Wisconsin Law Foundation
- Former Board of Directors Member – Chrysalis
- Former Emerging Leadership Board Member – University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center
- Former Member – Sun Prairie Plan Commission
Awards & Recognitions
- 40 Under 40, In Business Magazine, 2019
- In Business Madison’s Professional of the Week, February 2013
- Wisconsin Rising Star® (Business/Corporate Law) – 2009, 2019
- Law in Action Merit Scholar – University of Wisconsin Law School
- Represented the real estate developer for the world headquarters of Duluth Trading Company. Assisted client in the acquisition of the development sites and negotiation of agreements with local municipality regarding both land use and TIF financing. Brody also negotiated the terms of the non-recourse financing utilized for the funding of the development along with negotiation of the underlying credit-tenant lease
- Assisted client with the negotiation of commercial lease agreement, construction contract and financing package for the construction of unique entertainment venue in Madison, Wisconsin. Following completion of initial transaction, assisted client with private capital raise utilizing Regulation D to offset costs of construction
- Represented client in sale of a technology company for more than $30 million, including navigating treatment of foreign subsidiaries in Eastern Europe
- Represented clients in the sale of several hundreds of acres of farm land in one of Wisconsin’s most developed counties, making the farm land both very valuable and highly sought after by purchasers. Brody took the transaction from the marketing stage all the way to closing the purchase of real estate in 12 separate parcels
- He has assisted numerous clients in the recent past with successful private securities offerings under Regulation D. In all such deals he prepared disclosure documents, ensured compliance with notice requirements at the state and federal levels and assisted with corporate government issues associated with the offerings
- He has counseled numerous clients in the creation of new franchise systems, helping with the drafting of initial Franchise Disclosure Documents and creation of a Franchise Agreement. Brody also has been instrumental in assisting clients in the often tedious and demanding registration process in multiple states
- “Negotiation and Formation of Contracts for the Contract Drafting Issues in Wisconsin,” CLE program, State Bar of Wisconsin, January 13, 2012
- “The Federal Red Flags Rule and How It Affects Your Business”
- “Understanding the Intricacies of the ALTA Survey Requirements”
Service Area Subspecialties
- Commercial Real Estate
- Franchise, Product Distribution & Licensing
- Private Securities
- Mergers & Acquisitions