While representing the general business interests of many clients, Bill focuses his practice on two distinct areas of law: representing management interests in labor and employment law and representing the construction industry in contract matters. He is a successful litigator who has handled hundreds of significant cases ranging from race discrimination to defective building claims, product defects and more.
Bill’s clients come from a multitude of industries and include banks, restaurants franchisers, manufacturers, contractors, private business owners, multinational corporations and others.
- Lead negotiator in the primary engineering, construction and remediation contracts for the $700 million Fox River environmental cleanup, the largest environmental remediation project in the history of Wisconsin.
- Prosecuted claims and defended counterclaims for an Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contractor client in a Commonwealth of Virginia proceeding against a biofuels facility owner, resulting in client’s collection of a $6 million dollar award.
- Represented a contractor in a multiparty proceeding involving multi-million dollar claims related to a performing arts center project, resulting in no out of pocket expenses for the claims.
- Represented the interests of major construction trade associations, on three separate occasions, and filed amicus briefs on their behalf with the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
- Successfully argued before the Wisconsin Supreme Court as an amicus on behalf of contractor associations regarding interpretation of state lien laws.
- Continued representation of Construction Manager in the Lambeau Field stadium renovation and construction projects for the National Football League’s Green Bay Packers.
- Project manager representation in the development, project management, and construction of the Kohl Center, the University of Wisconsin’s hockey and basketball arena, and Ford Field, the stadium of the National Football League’s Detroit Lions.
- Representation of joint venture established to construct a $300 million hospital project.
- Successful defense of contractor in State of Washington prevailing wage dispute.
- Representation of energy services contractor in multi-state construction projects including energy transmission, directional drilling and frac sand mining projects.
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice of OSHA willful citations against a major telecommunications/ utility contractor.
- Represented a major children’s toy and apparel manufacturer in a multi-million dollar defective building claim, resulting in a multi-million dollar client award.
- Representation of a major general contractor in Iowa municipal wastewater treatment facility environmental claims.
- Successfully defended race discrimination claims against a major employer with facilities throughout the United States.
- Representation of a multinational paper and wood products company in trade secret and non-competition litigation in the State of Georgia.
Articles & Presentations
Bill is a frequent lecturer on construction and employment law issues and has published many articles on these subjects.
- Best Lawyers® – Best Lawyers in America – Construction Law; Labor and Employment Law (Since 2007)
- Super Lawyer, Law & Politics magazine
- Top Construction Lawyer, The Wisconsin Law Journal and Daily Reporter
- “Top Lawyer” – Madison Magazine